Spring is in the air here in Ronkonkoma and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Cool Power LLC team has some tips that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Cool Power LLC in Ronkonkoma a call at 631-246-4029.